1. Social Media: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat. U.S. government agencies are collecting social media usernames in visa or other immigration applications.
2. Banking: apps to transfer money or pay bills: Venmo, Google Wallet, Square Cash
3. Ride-sharing: Need a ride? Uber or Lyft
4. Eating: Grubhub or UberEats or DoorDash. (great for those who don't have a car or the time to go get food). Yelp is filled with customer reviews and ratings of restaurants and places.
5. Texting and Phoning Home: WhatsApp or GroupMe or Slack. (WhatsApp is free to use on WiFi and messages are encrypted.)
6. Document sharing: Google Drive
7. Mapping: Google Maps or Waze
8. Translation: Google Translate
9. Weather: WeatherBug or MyRadar or Quakes
10. Finding a job: LinkedIn
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website is for general information only. Caltech does not endorse or recommend any of the organizations listed.