Search Search

J-1 Student Employment

On-Campus Employment
Academic Training (AT)
Off-Campus Employment for Economic Necessity

On-Campus Employment

Degree-seeking students maintaining J-1 status, good academic standing, and a full course of study are eligible to work for Caltech on campus or at JPL for a maximum of 20 hours per week while classes are in session and more than 20 hours per week during Institute breaks and holidays. Graduate stipends, teaching or research assistantships, and fellowships are typical of this type of employment, but may also include services provided directly to students.

Academic Training (AT)

AT is employment authorization available to J-1 students when the training, internship or employment is directly related to the student's field of study. Prior to participating in AT, you must obtain authorization from your international advisor.  Students not sponsored by Caltech should contact their program sponsor (Fulbright, AMIDEAST, or other) for information and authorization.

AT Basics

  • Must have an have an employment offer directly related to the field of study
  • Length of AT is determined by the student's degree level or the amount of time enrolled full time in the course of study, whichever is less
    • Undergraduate students may qualify for up to 18 months
    • Master's students may qualify for up to 18 months
    • PhD students may qualify for up to 18 months on a pre-doctoral basis and up to 36 months on a post-doctoral basis, inclusive of all prior academic training done at that or other levels of study
  • Employment must begin within 30 days of program completion
  • May be paid or unpaid
  • All AT is counted as full time
  • Multiple employers may be permitted sequentially and concurrently as long as all are related to your course of study
  • AT is cumulative and inclusive of any AT previously completed at any academic level
  • Must maintain appropriate level of medical insurance for self and all dependents

 Application Process

Off-Campus Employment for Economic Necessity

Students experiencing serious, urgent, and unforeseen economic circumstances during their academic program may qualify to work off campus. Consult with your international advisor to discuss your situation and to seek approval prior to beginning any employment.