Search Search

Automatic Visa Revalidation (AVR)

Your expired U.S. entry visa is considered to be automatically extended to the date of reentry provided that the visa has not been canceled, and that you have not applied for a new visa.  To take advantage of AVR your travel must be to contiguous/adjacent entities for less than 30 days.  You may want to reference or print the Code of Federal Regulations.

  • Contiguous countries are: Canada, Mexico; and the adjacent islands are: Saint Pierre, Miquelon, the Dominican Republic, Haiti, Bermuda, the Bahamas, Barbados, Jamaica, the Windward and Lee Islands, Trinidad, Martinique, and the British, French and Netherlands territories or possessions in or bordering the Caribbean Sea. Cuba is currently excluded.
  • Non-F or J status holders are allowed to use AVR for travel to Canada and Mexico ONLY.
  • Not available to individuals from countries designated as State sponsors of terrorism.
  • If you changed your status while in the U.S. and hold a visa for the previous status, you may still use AVR, as long as you bring your current supporting immigration documents.  For example, if you changed your status from F-1 to H-1B and only have an expired F-1 visa, you may use AVR if you travel with your I-797 approval notice.

For more information regarding AVR, please visit the U.S. Department of State and U.S. Customs and Border Patrol websites.

Please note: you may require a visa to enter Canada/Mexico or Caribbean countries.
For information on travel to Canada and Mexico, please visit: