skip to main content

JPL Layoff FAQs

For FNs and Supervisors Regarding Visa Statuses

Please read through the below FAQs. If you have further questions please contact us at

You are allowed to remain inside the United States for up to 60-days beyond your termination date, or the end date of your H-1B validity period, whichever is earlier. You can use this time to seek a new H-1B employer, change status to another non-immigrant visa, or depart the United States. See:

If your employment is terminated prior to the end date of your H-1B approval, JPL will offer to pay for your return flight to your last place of foreign residence. This does not include your family nor other relocation expenses. You will be provided instruction on how to accept or decline this offer.

If JPL has been your only H-1B employer, you have not been counted towards the H-1B Cap for industry/for-profit employers. In order for you to have an H-1B job at an industry/for-profit employer you must first be counted towards the H-1B Cap. The H-1B Cap is an annual lottery system that starts in April. For more information, you may review information on the USCIS website: or consult with an immigration attorney. Universities and related nonprofit entities, nonprofit research organizations and government research organizations are exempt from the H-1B cap. These employers are able to submit an H-1B application to the USCIS at any time during the year without concern for the fiscal year limit. H-1Bs with cap-exempt employers would therefore offer an easier transition to new employment.

The JPL International Office will complete your J-1 program as of the date of your termination. We will provide you with an updated DS-2019.

If you find a new J-1 sponsor, you may be able to transfer to another J-1 program. We would need to submit the transfer request in SEVIS prior to the completion of your J-1 program at JPL. The latest effective date of the transfer would be the date of your termination.

You are allowed to remain inside the United States for the 30-day grace period, after the completion of your J-1 program. We cannot submit a J-1 transfer request in SEVIS during the 30-day grace period. See:

You should update your F-1 university sponsor immediately.

If you are on F-1 STEM OPT, you may have to complete an I-983 self-evaluation. See:

You are allowed to remain inside the United States, up to the maximum days of unemployment allowed: 90 days on F-1 OPT and 150 days on F-1 STEM OPT (inclusive of the 90 days of OPT).