Tax Software - Federal
The International Offices offers the Caltech and JPL community free access to Sprintax, a web-based program designed for students, faculty, postdocs, and staff who are nonresidents for tax purposes. Sprintax is only a tax preparation software, You cannot use it to file your tax return electronically. Effective April 2021, federal nonresident returns are able to be filed electronically. Once you have prepared your tax return with Sprintax, you will be prompted to submit it electronically.
Sprintax access code distribution is currently disabled. From February to May, there are three ways to receive a Sprintax access code:
- If your access.caltech account is active, log into access.caltech and search for the Sprintax Tax Prep button in the "Self Service" section. You need to use access.caltech on campus or with VPN from off campus. You will be able to access your unique Sprintax code from within access.caltech.
NOTE: If you cannot find the Sprintax Tax Prep button in your access.caltech account, do not contact IMSS Help Desk. Instead, email email@example.com to request your FREE individual Sprintax access code. Effective May 2021, this email address response is currently disabled.
- If you do not have an access.caltech account, but you have an active caltech.edu or jpl.nasa.gov email address, email firstname.lastname@example.org to request your FREE individual Sprintax access code. Effective May 2021, this email address response is currently disabled.
- If you are a former Caltech or JPL international student or scholar, complete the Tax Code Survey. You will receive a response within two business days. Effective May 2021, the tax code survey is currently disabled.
We have a limited number of access codes available.
While filing out the Sprintax portal, the correct selection for Caltech, as your employer on the drop down menu is College or University/Educational Institution.
We recommend starting your federal tax return as soon as you have all of the necessary documents so that you have enough time to complete it before you attend the free California Nonresident Tax Preparation Workshop.
IMPORTANT: Various resources can be found both online and in the community to assist you with tax filing if Sprintax cannot assist you.
Sprintax cannot assist:
- U.S. citizens or permanent residents
- Residents for tax purposes.
Tax Software - State
The International Offices provides free Sprintax access codes for U.S. federal taxes. Once you have prepared your U.S. federal taxes, you will have the option of preparing your nonresident state tax return with Sprintax for a nominal fee. Sprintax will utilize the information that you provided for your U.S. federal return to prepare your state nonresident tax return.
California nonresidents have the option of using Sprintax's fee-based nonresident state tax preparation service or attending a free California Nonresident Tax Preparation Workshop to prepare their California nonresident tax return. Once you have prepared your California nonresident return, you will need to print it out and submit it by mail.