Before you depart the United States:
- Complete the visa application Form DS-160. There is a useful slide show about filling out the DS-160.
- Review the U.S. Consulate website for guidance about what materials you will need to provide at your visa appointment.
- Tell your Caltech or JPL sponsor about your travel plans. You could be away for a few weeks if you become subject to a security clearance (see Visa Delays section).
- Students should request an official or unofficial transcript (depending on the Consulate's requirements) from the Registrar's Office to show proof of continued enrollment.
- Graduate students receiving a Caltech stipend should request a Certification Letter by directly emailing the Office of Graduate Studies or submitting the Request for Certification Letter to the Office of Graduate Studies.
Note: An arrest or criminal record may impact your visa eligibility. Contact the International Offices for a referral to an immigration attorney before you leave the United States.