Do not fall victim to scammers who call and say they are with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). There has been an increase in aggressive phone scams where people call and threaten you with police arrest or deportation if you don't pay them.
Even if you do owe taxes…
- The IRS will NEVER call and demand immediate payment over the phone.
- The IRS will NEVER try to threaten or intimidate you, demand payment with a prepaid debit card, or ask for your credit card or debit card number over the phone.
- The IRS will NEVER threaten to call the police or immigration agents if you don't pay.
If you get a call like this or if you are concerned that you may be a victim of tax-related identy theft, please do the following:
- Contact the International Offices
- Report it on IdentityTheft.gov
- Report it to the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration by calling 800-366-4484 or visiting www.tigta.gov
- Report it to the Federal Trade Commission at www.ftc.gov/complaint.