All new Caltech international scholars must attend the virtual ISS Check In upon arriving in the United States.
To register for the ISS Check In, you must complete the form: ISS Check In Webinar & Arrival Information prior to your start date, and after you have arrived in the United States. Once you have submitted the form, you will receive a confirmation email and the Zoom link for your virtual ISS Check In.
Monday to Friday | 11:00 AM | Zoom
ISS Check Ins are held virtually on Monday to Friday at 11:00 AM. If your start date is on a holiday or weekend, then you will attend the ISS Check In on the following business day. See the Caltech Holiday Schedule for a calendar of holidays observed by the Institute.
If you will receive a salary from Caltech, please follow these instructions carefully in order to successfully verify your U.S. employment eligibility by completing Form I-9, as required by federal regulations:
Online New Hire Packet (Form I-9 Section 1)
Please complete your Online New Hire Packet (Form I-9 Section 1) on or before your first day of employment. Note the following:
- Location: International Offices
Exception: If you are staring a position at LIGO in Washington or Louisiana, select the appropriate LIGO location.
- Social security number: If you do not have one, select "Applied For".
- Employment Date: Your first date of work. Confirm with your supervisor/host if you are not sure.
- Complete Personal Information AND I-9 Section One. You should receive a confirmation code at the end to confirm you have completed both parts.
- If you are starting a new position on campus, without any interruption in your Caltech affiliation, for example a graduate student starting a postdoc appointment immediately after graduation, do not complete the Online New Hire Packet (Form I-9 Section 1). Instead, please come to ISS during I-9 Walk In Hours in order to complete your In-Person Document Reverifcation (Form I-9 Section 3). See below for details.
- If you have been authorized by Human Resources to start your employment from off campus (excluding LIGO or other Caltech-managed locations), access the Online New Hire Packet HERE. After you complete the Online New Hire Packet (Form I-9 Section 1), you will be prompted to schedule an appointment with an agent nearby to your location. You will present your documents to the agent (Form I-9 Section 2).
In-Person Document Presentation (Form I-9 Section 2 or Section 3)
Wednesday and Thursday | 1:15 - 2:15 PM | International Scholar Services, 266 S. Chester Avenue
Friday | 9:00 - 10:00 AM | International Scholar Services, 266 S. Chester Avenue
After you have submitted the Online New Hire Packet (Form I-9 Section 1), bring your acceptable I-9 documents to ISS to complete Form I-9 Section 2 on or before your third day of employment during the ISS I-9 Walk In Hours noted above.
If your employment at Caltech has been extended, you will need to re-verify your Form I-9 with updated, acceptable I-9 documents for Section 3 on or before your current employment authorization expiration date during the ISS I-9 Walk In Hours noted above.
We welcome individuals on a first come, first serve basis. You will need to show originals documents. We cannot accept electronic documents on a phone or computer.
All first-time Caltech J-1 Exchange Visitors are required to attend orientation. All other new scholars, spouses/partners, and families are welcome to participate. The International Scholar Orientation presentation provides information about regulations affecting your immigration status in the United States as well as advice to assist you and your family while you transition to life in Pasadena.
There will be a 5 minute break between the two parts of the orientation.
Thursdays | 8:30 - 11:00 AM | Zoom
8:30 - 9:40 AM | Adjustment and Relocation Orientation
9:45 - 11:00 AM | Immigration Orientation
2023 Orientation Schedule:
- February 9
- March 9
- April 13
- May 11
- June 8
- July 13
- August 10
- September 14
- October 12
- November 9
- December 14