Tax Software - Federal Tax Filing
The International Offices offers the Caltech and JPL community free access to Sprintax, a web-based program for nonresidents for tax purposes. Effective 2021, federal nonresident taxes may be filed electronically. Once you have prepared your tax return with Sprintax, you will be prompted to submit it electronically.
Obtain your individual Sprintax code:
- Log into access.caltech and click on Sprintax Tax Prep in the "Self Service" section. VPN is needed from off campus.- or -
- Request it through the Sprintax Code Request Form.
- Select "College or University/Educational Institution" in the employer drop-down menu.
Sprintax is only for individuals eligible to file as Nonresidents for Tax Purposes.
Sprintax cannot assist:
- U.S. citizens
- U.S. permanent residents
- Residents for tax purposes
Tax Software - State Tax Filing
After completing your U.S. federal taxes, you may choose to file your U.S. state tax return with Sprintax as well, for a fee of approximately $40. Sprintax utilizes information from your U.S. federal tax return to prepare your state tax return. Completed California nonresident tax returns will need to be printed and submitted by mail.
Introduction to U.S. Taxes for Nonresidents
- September 21, 2022 | 9:30 AM Pacific | Register Here
In this online session, the Sprintax team will provide an introduction to U.S. taxes for new and incoming international students and scholars. Topics covered will include an outline of filing obligations for nonresidents, tax information around working in the United States and other resources to help nonresidents to understand their tax obligations while in the country.
More from Sprintax