Before you depart the United States:
- Complete the visa application Form DS-160.
- Review the U.S. Consulate website to learn what documents you will need to provide at your visa appointment.
- Tell your Caltech or JPL sponsor about your travel plans. You could be away for a few weeks if you become subject to a security clearance (see Visa Delays section).
- Students should request an official or unofficial transcript (depending on the Consulate's requirements) from the Registrar's Office to show proof of continued enrollment.
- Graduate students should request a Certification Letter from the Office of Graduate Studies to show proof of funding, if applicable.
Note: An arrest or criminal record may impact your visa eligibility. If this may apply to you, contact the International Offices for a referral to an immigration attorney before you leave the United States.