Search Search

Documents that You Should Bring for Yourself and Your Family

Personal Records.  If you plan to enroll your spouse and/or children in a Caltech or JPL health insurance plan, you will need to present translated copies of your marriage certificate and/or children’s birth certificates.

Medical Records.  You should bring immunization (vaccination) records, medical and dental histories, and current vision prescription (if any).  If your records are not in English, translated copies are recommended.

For children only: California day care centers and schools require children's immunization records before admission.

Driving History.  In order to obtain an insurance discount for being a good driver, you will need to provide documentation (in English) that confirms your good driving record for the last three years.  If you are coming from another U.S. state, obtain your driving record from your state’s Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).  If you are coming from abroad, a certificate can be obtained from the proper government agency in your home country.  Certificates from insurance companies are not recognized.

Passport Copies.  Your dependents may need certified passport copies for tax purposes.  A certified copy is a document that the original issuing agency provides to certify that the copy is an exact copy of the original document.  It should contain an official stamped seal from the agency.

Diploma or Transcript (Postdocs).  If you are postdoctoral scholar, your appointment is contingent upon your successful completion of your Ph.D.  You will need to present evidence of the completion of your degree when you arrive on campus.  If this requirement cannot be met prior to your arrival at Caltech, you may (with prior approval of your faculty sponsor) be hired into a temporary position for a period up to 90 days.

Documents for Spouses.  If your spouse plans to work or attend school in the United States, translated and certified transcripts or diplomas are sometimes necessary, depending on the position or school.  Letters of references from previous employers may be necessary for acceptance into an academic program. If your spouse plans to pursue his/her education in the United States, s/he may need to complete the GMAT (Graduate Management Admission Test), the TOEFL (Test of English as Second Language) or the GRE (Graduate Record Examination).


DISCLAIMER:  The information provided on this website is for general information only.  Caltech does not endorse or recommend any of the organizations listed.