Science Technology Engineering Mathematics for Children
The Caltech Postdoc Association (CPA) Sciences Technology Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) for Families’ Program grows fast, and we are looking for instructors and guest speakers for our classes. If you can contribute to curriculum development, give a presentation on your research, start or join a group, invite children to your lab, or invite children for a field trip and talk about science, please let us know.
Please contact Eugenia Khorosheva firstname.lastname@example.org who is the main group coordinator and the sub group coordinators.
if you are interested to start a group, or join a group!
All Caltech community members are invited to participate.
Our current resources are limited, but we welcome families of friends outside Caltech if they wish to volunteer, teach, give presentations and guest lectures.
OUR CURRENT CLASSES
Mondays, 6:00 pm – 7:00 pm:
• Math circle for 8-9 years old children. Instructors – Ali Hajimiri, and parent volunteers. The group is full and does not accept new families, but we organize one more group that will meet at the same time. Please contact us to be added to the waiting list.
Location – Moore, To Be Detremined (TBD).
Group coordinators: Tanya Potts email@example.com ; if you are a new family please contact Tanya Potts and/or Eugenia Khorosheva firstname.lastname@example.org
• UCLA Math circle satellite for 9-12 years old children. Instructor – Lev Tumaykin (UCLA math circle student).
The group is looking for additional instructor. (one part of the group will be for 11-12 years old children; and another part of the group will target 9-10 years old children).
Location – Moore, TBD.
Group coordinators: Mok Lee Peng (Jennifer) email@example.com ; if you are a new family please contact Eugenia Khorosheva firstname.lastname@example.org
• Natural Sciences for 6-8 years old children. (Most children are 7 years old). Instructors - Louise Hamlin and Eugenia Khorosheva. Group coordinator Batygin, Olga A. Olga.Batygin@caltech.edu
Location – Caltech Y.
Group coordinator Alka Singh email@example.com
Mondays, 7:10 pm – 8:00 pm:
• Coding classes for 9-13 years old, and for 11- 15 years old children. Instructors - Roman Tumaykin and Giuseppe Totaro.
Location – TBD.
This group will start around March 15, 2018.
Tuesdays, 6 pm – 7:30 pm:
• International Culture Groups for Children. Instructors – group parents. Group coordinators for Russian group: Anush Chalyan and Artur Davoyan firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com , and Yelena Smirnova firstname.lastname@example.org
Thursdays, 6 pm-7 pm:
• UCLA Math circle satellite for 7-8 years old children (and advanced younger students). Instructor – Dana Soibel (UCLA math circle student).
Location – TBD.
Group coordinators: Gali Podzemskay email@example.com . This group is almost full and we might need to open another group soon. We are looking for the Math Circle instructors.
• Natural sciences for 6-9 years old children. (Most children are 9 years old).
Location – TBD. Day of the week might change.
Instructors - Danijela Markovic and Eugenia Khorosheva.
Group coordinator: Olga Batygin Olga.Batygin@caltech.edu
Thursdays, 6 pm-7 pm: All the instructors meet for curriculum development, everyone is welcome to contribute.
Fridays, 5:45 pm – 7:00pm:
• Makers’ club groups for >=7 years old children and adults.
Location: Little Chandler.
CPA coordinator Shagane Barsegian Launey firstname.lastname@example.org
• Knitting engineering for >=8-15 years old children and adults.
Location: Caltech Y.
Instructor: Emily Savela. (CPA coordinator – TBD, contact Eugenia Khorosheva email@example.com
• Physics/Chemistry/Biology groups for 10 years old and older children; these classes will target Middle and High school children. This group is in development.
• Monthly CPA STEM hiking for families for all ages
New groups in development: Looking for volunteers in the following areas:
- ESL group for international families
- Music and music history groups for different ages
- Creative writing workshops for different ages
- Natural Sciences Guest Lectures series
- Physics and Math for Middle and High Schoolers
- Math circles (additional) for7-8 years old children, 8-9 years old children, 9-10 years old children
CPA STEM for families is sponsored by Caltech Postdoctoral Association.